The Religious Spirit
Articles - Christian Growth
by Rob Packer
1) Will try to get us to be preoccupied or content with the external form of religious observance.
2) Cause us to be offended when that form is challenged or changed.
3) Cause an unwillingness to change for fear of others being offended.
4) Will honour what God has done, while vehemently opposing what He is now doing.
5) Cause us to be more concerned with ritual than with relevance or reality.
6) Cause us to be more concerned with the right words, phrases, and doctrines than what is going on in the heart.
7) Put a "veil" or "spiritual blanket" over our mind and spirit, which smothers our true joy and freedom in the Holy Spirit.
8) Lock us into one particular mode of relating to God and kill our desire or ability to relate to Him in any other way.
9) Seek to block out our ability to hear the voice of the Spirit and to replace it with a bondage to forms of observance.
10) If they cannot smother our spiritual life, they will seek to push us to an unnatural and extreme form of super-spirituality.
11) Seek, by deceptive means, to control and limit the work of the Holy Spirit.
2 Tim 3:5 ...having a form of godliness but denying its power.
2 Cor 3:14-18 ...their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read...only in Christ is it taken away...a veil covers their hearts...whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom!
This veil is very much like the veil the religious spirit brings. It is related to the old legalistic code - it covers our heart and mind - it is only taken away when we turn back to the Lord who is the Spirit. When he takes it away there is truly freedom!
Rom 8:19-21 ...creation waits in eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God...creation itself will be liberated from its bondage...and brought ito the glorious liberty of the sons of God!...
A notice on some huge stones in a church foyer:- If you don't praise him, we will!